Watch our babies grow

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Maternity tickers

Thursday, May 31, 2012

The penny

Wow. Where do I even begin? Tonight was one of the scariest moments-if not THE scariest moment-of my life! I was planning on having dinner with one of my best friends and asked Jeff if he would change Lyla while I got her food and bag together. I heard her scream and so I went back to her room and the rest was kind of a blur. Basically, Lyla was choking. I grabbed her and tried to swipe her mouth with my finger but felt nothing. She was whimpering and trying to cry and at one point just put her little head on my shoulder. She was turning colors and was struggling to breath. At one point, I looked at Jeff and said "DO SOMETHING!" He told me to get in the car that we were going to the hospital. So, we (lyla and I) frantically went outside, meanwhile still swiping her mouth. Just before we got to the car, OUT comes a penny! (It wasn't in her mouth before, so I guess she just kinda threw it up.) I literally collapsed outside in our front lawn! I couldn't even stand up when Jeff came out there.  All I could do was hold up the penny. I was so relived that she was okay. Jeff grabbed the penny and threw it across the street. We still have NO idea where that penny came from and how she got ahold of it. We have NOW discussed a plan for when/if something else like that happens so we are not screaming at each other in panic-this should be something every couple with kids talks about. I have learned that it can be very hectic in the heat of the moment.

If you are ever in this situation, here's how to handle a choking baby. Obviously, this isn't how we handled it, but we know now. If you know of other ways, I would love to know.

Infants & Babies
If your child is under a year old:
Infant Choking First Aid
Enlarge Image
  • Turn her facedown over your forearm or on your lap if you can't manage the forearm position (see image at right).
  • Hold her jaw with one hand to support the head, which should be lower than her chest.
  • Using the heel of your free hand, deliver five quick slaps between the shoulder blades.
  • If she still can't breathe, try chest thrusts: While holding your baby, turn her faceup, keeping her head lower than her chest (not pictured here). Place two fingers in the middle of her chest and give five thrusts. Repeat with back blows and chest thrusts until the object is visible and you can remove it.

No comments:

Post a Comment